Sunday 2 March 2014

Week 7 -A little bit of poetry

I occasionally write a bit of poetry and so I thought it would be good to try and get one printed or published for one of my 50th things.
However, it occurred to me that publishing on a blog was actually quite a challenge for me in itself as I'm not historically very comfortable sharing what I've written!
So here we go; a poem from back in 2008, when all the kids were at home and life was quite frenetic and very different than it is now! Its title is 'unspoken' so it seems quite apt.

Unspoken
Sometimes it's hard to be a woman, or is it only me
that feels that there are just too many things,
that seem to go unspoken

Do people know what I'm really like, can they read my thoughts?
can they tell by looking what lurks inside
and see the things unspoken?

Oh I want to talk, I love to talk, that is not the problem
but the hurt, the pain and all the stress and tension,
that's what goes unspoken

Why is it me that never rests and always has to be there?
Why do I not get a day off from all that 'woman's' work
is it a rule unspoken?

Who said I should be the one who has to answer questions?
can someone else not make a decision just for once?
please change that rule unspoken!

If I ask a question am I prying- or just plain annoying?
am I nagging, interrogating and giving advice?
shall I keep my thoughts unspoken?

When everyone's left the dinner table and only I am
 left
who is going to clear the pots - well her of course
it's that other rule unspoken!

Is it only me who thinks such wretched things? am I really horrid?
Does everyone else accept this is their job?
it's the role unspoken

Should I try and make you understand - just where would I start?
I want to tell you how I feel, I think it would be good -
to share my life unspoken

But it's a really scary prospect to let you see inside
what if you don't understand or care, or worse reject me-
perhaps I'll stay unspoken

Sometimes it's hard to be a woman - it can't be only me
I struggle, I fail, I'm sure you do too
let's share our worlds unspoken?

Karen Sadler September 2008

3 comments:

  1. Your poem just about sums up my day! :-( maybe going back to work tomorrow will be a benefit. .. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely speak your unspoken words :)

    ReplyDelete