Thursday 27 February 2014

Week 6- New habits, or yes you can teach an old dog new tricks!!

Well although I only published week 5 yesterday, here's week 6 and now I'm only 2 weeks behind!! However, 2 blogs together, you can tell it's half term!!
My challenge this week follows on from the indulgence day, both literally and in theme. If you remember I'm trying to do things that I've not done before and so this might come as a surprise but I've actually taken up a cleansing routine for the first time!
Let me explain:-
During the very relaxing and thorough massage I enjoyed on the indulgence day I naturally got chatting with my very likeable masseuse. Of course it wasn't long before the inevitable question: 'what cleansing routine do you follow?' ( it's very reminiscent of that other popular inquiry from the dentist - how often do you brush and do you floss? )- at which point I usually panic and embarrassingly confess that I don't have a'routine' (and I don't floss)!!
This occasion was no different. However, maybe due to Jackie's persuasive chatter, my being 50 and having less'elasticity'in my skin!, my doing 50 things in my 50th year or simply because I promised Jackie, I actually determined to start up a daily facial routine,.... and even decided I'd try to floss regularly as well!
Now the interesting thing here is that I was telling a friend about this and she told me she'd decided to do almost the complete opposite- moving away from commercial products. The point for me is that I wanted to get into a new habit - it's more about taking time to spend on myself and less about whether the creams actually do any good!! And when I say spend time on myself it's not in a selfish way, moreover, in a 'Karen, don't be lazy,neglectful and dismissive' sort of way!
It got me to thinking about habits and I read that 90 percent of our actions are habitual. Also, that ' life is nothing more than the sum total of many successful years; a successful year is nothing more than the sum total of many successful months; a successful month is nothing more than the sum total of many successful weeks;a successful week is nothing more than the sum total of many successful days. That's why practising successful habits, day in and day out, is the most certain way to win over the long term'.
So, my new daily 'cleansing' habit is clearly not going to make me successful, in itself, but maybe, just maybe for me it's a good choice to be making.

2 comments:

  1. My friend has started her own completely natural beauty products company. She has just launched an organic cleansing oil with no chemicals.....
    http://bathing-beauty.co.uk/product/universal-cleansing-oil/ xxxx

    ReplyDelete