Saturday 22 February 2014

Week 5 - indulgence day!!

It's the eighth week of the year already and I must say that I'm loving my 50th year so far.
I can tell you that my 2nd cousin and I are now corresponding regularly and I hope we'll meet up again later in the year.
I marked the fifth week by spending a whole day being indulged!
I've got to admit to not historically being very good at taking time out for myself.I guess there's several reasons for that which I recognise.
 One would be my belief that you should work hard and sitting around and not always being'busy' is somehow lazy. I assume this is a message I learnt in childhood, although I don't think it was taught as such, but I do remember phrases like,'if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well' and 'the devil finds work for idle hands'.
Another reason would be that being a mother of 4 (well, actually, just being a mother full stop) you kind of get used to putting the kids first and finding time for yourself is really difficult especially when they're little. For me, carving out me time was never easy!
Now, I've really no excuse, and over recent years I've become more practised, but the idea of simply 'indulging' has taken longer to accept! Indulgence is all about luxury and extravagance and can have that negative connotation of indulging a child or overeating at Christmas etc. However, I have come to realise it doesn't have to be bad and in fact treating yourself is a really very excellent and healthy thing to do. After all, as the advert will tell you 'you're worth it'!!
 Seriously though, the indulgence day was amazing and not just for the reasons cited above. My mother in law is currently caring for her terminally ill husband and really benefitted from some time off and relaxation. We were able to enjoy a few very special hours together during a very difficult period for our family.
I think this shows perfectly, not only how important taking time out and being indulged is, but also how necessary it can be.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you managed to have your well deserved 'me-time'. Thinking of you and your family

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete