Wednesday 19 March 2014

Week 9 - The Vardre.

For those of you who don't live in the Llandudno/Colwyn Bay areas, you will now be asking yourselves, what is the Vardre? And those of you who are local and are also wondering what I'm talking about ...... shame on you!!!!
Seriously though, the point is actually shame on me, because the Vardre is a local hill just between Deganwy and Llanrhos and overlooking llandudno,Conwy and towards Anglesey - and it was put on my list as until a few weeks ago I'd never climbed to its summit! (or been anywhere near it for that matter!) So, my 50 things list includes a few local walks and beauty spots which after this year will no longer be undiscovered to me!
On this particular afternoon I couldn't persuade the men in my family to accompany me (I'm doing them a disservice, I'm sure they were meaningfully engaged in some other activity) However, our black lab, Harvey, never takes any persuading and so, with him, his lead, my back-pack, my route printed out, my camera and my glasses I was ready!
It was a perfect winter's day; the sun was shining, the sky was blue, it was a welcome change after all the rain and heavy storms. The only complications were the stiles and my failing eyesight!
The first, I had anticipated and I was just hoping that somehow, miraculously, Harvey might have learnt how to climb those 2-stepped type stiles since last we trekked the countryside.
He hadn't!! Can I just say, Harvey is a big labrador and I congratulate myself on man-handling (carrying would be nowhere near the right word!!) him over at least 2 of these nasty structures! Fortunately, the other fields and paths were connected with either those step-ladder type stiles or those altogether better and much preferred by both me and Harvey, kissing gates.
The second complication was again not entirely down to my lack of preparation (ex-girlguide, I like to be prepared!)I did have my glasses with which to read my route, but I hadn't really fathomed out how I was going to keep them accessible for when I needed to check my directions. The tried and tested, and now only too familiar habit of mine, to stick them on my head, proved to be grossly inefficient and incongruous with climbing, hauling dogs and trudging through mud. A lot of mud!! Suffice to say, I think I'll invest in one of those older ladies',string round your neck devices for keeping my readers handy next time!(yes sorry kids, it has to be done)
Yes, indeed, there will be a next time because despite the two minor complications the walk was glorious, the weather outstanding and the views breathtaking and well worth the climb.
If you've never been up, do it, I'll even join you and go up again.
In the meantime, here are some photos to whet your appetite!



3 comments:

  1. =D love your pictures ...& I'm now trying to imagine 'manhandling' Harvey over those stiles! whew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to walk my dog on the vardre most days when I lived close by, it is a beautiful place to walk

    ReplyDelete