Sunday 10 August 2014

Week 23- Go skiing

Early on in the process of deciding what to put on my 50 things list, I knew skiing had to be up there. Not only had I never skied before but there happens to be a dry ski slope on my doorstep in Llandudno (where there's also a tram that I've never ridden) and so really it was an obvious choice.
I didn't imagine that funds would allow a real skiing holiday or anything so exotic so I only had my thoughts set on the slope in town. However, a friend strongly recommended that I visited the snow dome in Manchester instead because she said it hurt when you fell on the dry slope. Naturally, I assumed that falling was an inevitability and so I took her advice and booked in at the Chill Factore.
Happily, the whole idea snowballed (pun intended) and both my brother and sister decided to join me on this mini adventure!
In the end, there were 6 of us booked onto the taster session in June. I have to say that it was a really strange feeling going into a building wearing shorts, vests and sandals on one of the hottest days of the year whilst carrying winter woolies in your bag to change into! It sort of messed with your head! I mean, who wants to go into a freezing, wintry environment in the middle of a proper summer's day?
Well, it seems we did! We enjoyed 40 minutes being shown how to move, balance, glide etc. Of course we didn't reach the dizzy heights of the big slope but we did get a great introduction and a true taste of what skiing was all about and amazingly, not a single member of the 12 strong group fell over even once!
I thoroughly enjoyed it and I would definitely go onto having some lessons at some point although I don't think I was a natural.
Thanks to Nathan, Linda, Steve, Hannah and Jackie for holding my hands and not showing me up too much and of course to Ben, the pro, who showed us all the skiing prowess to which we could all aspire!





1 comment:

  1. You would have thought that we'd have artificial slopes here in Oz, to offset the fact that there isn't a lot of snow here. Never come across one though.

    We have snow, and ski resorts, about three hours down the road from us though. Not the first thing you think of Australia having, I have to admit.

    Well done with this challenge. It's not something I'd be bold enough to try.

    Have you done a parachute jump yet? ;-)

    ReplyDelete