Friday 20 February 2015

Week 38 - Take up a new activity.... Spinning.

If you're confused as to what 'spinning' is, you wouldn't be on your own. If you have visions of me going to the leisure centre to set up a wheel and begin making thread of course you'd be as completely misguided and confused as I was a few months ago.
Spinning or indoor cycling as it's also called, is a fitness class.
I think it's still a relatively new type of exercising, but it's become very popular and it's an absolute killer!!
John started going in the autumn and kept telling me about all these young women and him, the token male, at which point I thought I'd better go along too! Actually, there's quite a mix of ages and shapes and male and females at the class we go to now and because you have your own bike, to some extent you can control your own pace. Having said that, the instructor puts you through a rigorous routine and constantly urges you to step up the resistance on the bike; you can't really avoid the pressure of trying to pedal as furiously as the keenies around you!
So it is a gruelling workout, spinning hard in the saddle, pushing out of the saddle and also in the hover position and to help and motivate you it is all accompanied by music and shouted instruction.
Incredibly, despite the fact that it's knackering, that I emerge looking like a sweating lobster and that it's early on a Saturday morning, I do actually enjoy it!



Well, not a picture of me I know, but do you realise how unattractive a sweating lobster looks?
These people have definitely not just done a class!

No comments:

Post a Comment