Friday 7 November 2014

Week 30 - Cycle to...........

I live in a household of very keen cyclists; I challenge any home to have as much Lycra as we do in ours. John and Luc have done some extremely impressive rides including Colwyn Bay to Cardiff in 36 hours! and now the guys are planning a trip to Paris on two wheels.
As for me, I enjoy my cycling too and not wanting to be outdone by the men I decided I had to set myself a challenge too. I felt I wanted to do a major ride from home, something noteworthy, somewhere at a reasonable distance. I chose Llangaffo, Anglesey which is approximately 33 miles away,( but with our little unintended diversion around Bangor must have been nearer 35!)
Okay, so I know it's not Land's End to John o Groat's, but it is a route which I've travelled many, many times before. However, only in a car. So one fine, dry day John and I got prepared and set off on the tandem. (We absolutely love tandem cycling and are constantly amazed by people's sceptical attitude towards it.)
I particularly enjoy the opportunity to appreciate the countryside and see the sights that you simply miss when you zip along the dual carriageways at 70mph. It's wonderful to experience the contours of the land, to take a slower pace and to chat as you go along (John also maintains I use the mobile going along instead of pedalling ,- what can I say? I can multi-task!!)
Anyway, we discovered some lovely little places which are really just on our doorstep and yet previously unknown. We found a beautiful valley near Bangor, so close to the expressway and yet magically hidden. We picnicked in a park, drank coffee overlooking the Menai Bridge and took time to pause and take photos. It looks like I learnt my lesson after my poor judgement in Cheddar (you need to have read the last blog!)
Additionally, it did feel like an achievement, especially since we cycled not only onto the island but down to Llangaffo where we met Luc and Nathan -
-  Oh and yes, that was with the car; the bike went on the roof and we drove home, enjoying a well- earned fish and chip supper - yum!






1 comment: