Saturday 1 November 2014

Week 29 - Visit a new place in the UK

I really should have been more prompt writing these blogs. You would have thought that being a teacher and having a long summer holiday I would have had plenty of time to keep writing regularly. Obviously, the lack of routine scuppered me and if I'm perfectly honest the problem was that the weather was simply too nice and I just couldn't stay inside and write on the tablet when the sun was shining! (Can't see the screen outside - have tried, didn't work)
Having said all that, when I visited the Cheddar gorge in Somerset for the very first time in mid-August the weather was actually not brilliant at all. Then again, we didn't go for the weather. It was thanks to great friends of ours who invited John and I to join them in a mobile home on a small caravan site that we had the opportunity to go there.
Cheddar of course is home to cheese, cider, caves and a road weaving its way up through the middle of the rock. I had never visited before, in fact I'm not sure whether I'd previously stayed in Somerset at all.
Anyway, I think it'd be true to say that I made a bit of a rookie error. The whole point of visiting a massive gorge is to experience it; to see its expanse, its magnitude, to look down and get the 3000 ft perspective. I didn't do that! I can't for the life of me think why now  (umm I think there was a charge to do the cliff walk-:-\ ) it was certainly my own 'not doing'.
To be honest, it's not like me. I'm usually very keen to get the bird's eye view - even some of my earlier  blogs testify to that and I've spoken about this in church before now for goodness sake!
I guess there's some lessons to myself here:

  • Don't Stop looking for the bigger picture, 
  • Don't start losing that child-like wonder in the little things,
  • Don't let cynicism rob you of joy
I feel suitably reproached now!
Here's what I should have seen:


2 comments:

  1. Lovely picture Karen, perhaps it will 'call' you for another visit in the future?

    ReplyDelete