Friday 25 April 2014

Week 11 - Encouragement

First of all, thanks for all the encouraging feedback on'the supermarket one'. It was great to hear your comments.
I don't know about you, but I love to hear positive things either about me or about something I'm doing. Doesn't everybody? Let's be honest, no-one enjoys being told negative stuff or criticism!
So my 11th challenge was to send an encouraging text everyday for a week to someone different. This of course didn't really take up a lot of time or energy but I think what was interesting this week was considering the motivation and the outcomes.
Words can be so powerful, they can bring life or death to a person, (not literally usually!) and be bearers of hope rather than despair. I think some people are natural encouragers; they are warm, compassionate people who regularly think about the needs and feelings of others and find this easy to do. Others can learn to act like this.
 I think if you want to be positive and encouraging in order to get something back for yourself, then your motivation is surely wrong. To cheer someone on, in whatever way, must be just that, - a desire to see them succeed, perform well, get better, achieve a goal, keep going, believe there's hope etc.
This of course means your responses won't be always as you expect and your encouragement won't necessarily precede immediate success or life changing circumstances for people. But then again that's not the point - encourage anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment